Regular PGR Network Coffee meetings!
Previous PGR Network Events in 2022:
On 16th May 2022, PGR and ECR UKALTA members came together online to discuss how to prepare for conference presentations. Our three invited speakers presented their top tips on writing a winning proposal for a conference presentation, on presentation skills, and on dealing with Q&A sessions. This was followed by a Q&A session with attendees.
- Professor Tineke Brunfaut – Professor in Linguistics and English Language at Lancaster University.
- Dr Talia Isaacs – Associate Professor of Applied Linguistics and TESOL at UCL Institute of Education, University College London.
- Reverend Professor Lynda Taylor – UKALTA President and Visiting Professor in English Language Assessment at the Centre for Research in English Language Learning and Assessment (CRELLA) at the University of Bedfordshire.
Fit for the Road? Staying well and building personal resilience in your academic life , presented by Professor Lynda Taylor
(please follow the link above for the two video stories with sound)
Undertaking a PhD and establishing yourself in an academic career can be a lengthy and daunting journey. Both processes can take several years of focused commitment and there can be significant stress and challenge along the way. Sometimes challenges are due to unexpected health problems or unforeseen obstacles, or they may simply be due to the persistent and competing pressures of ordinary daily life, i.e. our academic studies, our working life, our family responsibilities, etc. This session will give us a chance to consider some of these issues, how they affect our academic journey as PGRs/ECRs and what measures we can adopt to support one another in successfully navigating that experience to achieve our goals. The session begin with some input on wellbeing and resilience, during which Lynda will share something of the ‘ups and downs’ of her own academic career journey; after that, there will be plenty of time for questions and discussion together.
Previous PGR Network events in 2021:
The first formal event organised by the PGR Network, on 6th October 2021 postgraduate (PG) and early-career researcher (ECR) UKALTA members came together online to discuss methodological and practical considerations related to the field of language testing and assessment. The event was opened with papers by two invited speakers, followed by presentations by UKALTA PGs and ECRs.
Plenary speakers Dr Vahid Aryadoust and Dr Chihiro Inoue spoke about quantitative and qualitative methods for language testing respectively. Please click for access to a recording of the talks on YouTube:
- Dr Vahid Aryadoust – Assistant Professor at the Department of English Language and Literature, Nanyang Technological University, speaks about quantitative methods for language testing.
- Dr Chihiro Inoue – Senior Lecturer at CRELLA, University of Bedfordshire, speaks about qualitative methods for language testing.
19th May 2021: The inaugural gathering of the new UKALTA PGR Network.
This event gave rise to regular ‘coffee meetings’ – informal gatherings for UKALTA PGRs and ECRs to meet peers and discuss their research.